Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Marilyn Monroe & the Lindsay Lohan Omen


Lindsay Lohan, in a provocative yet slightly underwhelming photo shoot for New York Magazine, has resurrected the spectral corpus of Marilyn Monroe. A troubled starlet plays… a troubled starlet six weeks before she topped herself in the Hotel Bel-Air in 1962; and six weeks after Lohan's latest stint in rehab.

The infamous last photo session for American Vogue was recreated by the original photographer Bert Stern, who found it easy to talk Lohan into doing the slightly fatalistic, omen-istic, augur-istic shoot; I mean it’s not like we’re making some sort of cultural statement about celebrity. Are we?

On the tough decision to play the dead minx, Lohan muses, "I didn't have to put much thought into it. I mean, Bert Stern? Doing a Marilyn shoot? When is that ever going to come up?" On Monroe’s and Heath Ledger’s dénouement: "I sure as hell wouldn't let it happen to me." Remember Lindsay! Beer before barbiturate, you’re in the shit. Barbiturate before beer, you’re in the clear.

My favourite response to the shoot comes from Monica Corcoran in the LA Times who opined that Bert Stern "should be ashamed of himself for aping such a memorable photo shoot for a 21-year-old actress whose most notable credit is Herbie Fully Loaded"?

Really Monica! Between Herbie Fully Loaded and The Seven Year Itch, Herbie takes props!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Lohan looked terrible. Def corpse-like!

The current bad girls of today - Paris, Lohan & Brit - all provide a depressing reflection of american society today.

That its all gone to trash!Tsk, tsk.

I wish we could return to the days of 'I'm a laaaaady' ;)

Anonymous said...

i think she looks great... Fabulous babylons!
She's a sex addict though..